Labor 1 Water-Sewer
SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Water/Sewer Distribution Crew Leader. Installs water and sewer mains. Maintains and repairs water and sewer mains and fire hydrants. Installs, maintains and repairs water meters.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Locates and maintains service lines, water mains and leads, valves and pumps, and sewer lines for maintenance. Installs, maintains and repairs water meters.
- Operates a jackhammer with compressor to break concrete and blacktop; digs ditches for water and sewer lines. Monitors trench construction safety.
- Installs, turns on or shuts off water service connections.
- Lays water and sewer lines.
- Checks and locates blockages in sewer lines. Uses sewer rodder and Vactor to remove blockages and flushes sewers.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs fire hydrants, manholes, valves and pumps, and lift stations.
- May use tapping machine to tap water mains.
- Ensures that necessary materials and equipment are laid out for a job. Transports materials to and from work site in pickup trucks.
- May read water meters and maintains associated records. Processes department work requisitions.
- May supervise workers from other crews assigned to a water or sewer job.
- Regularly uses materials and equipment, such as valves, copper tubing, compressor, sewer rodder, sewer vactor, jackhammer, pickup truck, and tapping machine.
- Installs barricades, sawhorse signs, bolo balls, and flashers around street maintenance sites.
- Performs duties within work rules and safety policies of the City.
- May perform related duties as required.
- May assist with custodial work and maintenance in Public Works buildings and may perform maintenance duties at the water tower, and City Hall.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Education, Training and Experience Guidelines: High School Diploma OR GED equivalent AND one year of experience in public works construction OR street maintenance, including duties in any one or more of the following areas: streets, concrete, traffic control, or sanitary sewer maintenance.
- Basic hand and power tools, cement work, carpentry, plumbing, and painting.
- Occupational hazards and safety precautions required in public works maintenance.
Possess Skills in:
- Providing efficient customer service and communicating clearly and objectively both verbally and in writing.
- Organizing with the ability to prioritize work and exercise independent judgment, wisdom, common sense, and initiative.
- Thoroughly carrying out oral and written instructions.
- Lifting and transporting materials and supplies weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Using patience, tact, diplomacy, and courtesy in dealing with the public and employees.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including City and other government officials, community groups, and the general public; and applying safe work practices.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid, unrestricted, Mississippi driver’s license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in a variety of environmental conditions, both indoors and out, with exposure to wide temperature variations, noise, vibrations, fumes, grease, machinery and its moving parts, odors, and dust. Physical demands require bending, stooping, and frequently lifting moderately heavy and heavy objects. Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds. Some exposure to hazardous chemicals. Incumbent must be able to see and hear in the normal range with or without correction, and communicate verbally and in written form with great facility and must be able to be understood. Incumbent will be required to respond to emergencies after regular working hours and on weekends, and must be willing to work an irregular schedule, which may include weekends, holidays, evenings, and/or varying shifts.
To apply, click the button below to complete an application.